These delicious twists use the famous fathead dough. It’s amazing how well this dough turns out; you would never know it was based on cheese!
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup powdered Equal Sweetener
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 5 tbsp butter (approx. 100g)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tsp Equal Sweetener
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp powdered Equal Sweetener
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 160oC fan-forced. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, and baking powder. In a large saucepan, melt cheese and butter over low heat until it can be stirred together [you can do this step in the microwave using a microwave-safe bowl, for 30 second increments until both cheeses are melted].
- Add egg and vanilla extract and stir to combine. Stir in almond flour mixture until dough comes together (keep heat on low). It will still have some large streaks of cheese. Turn out dough directly onto a kitchen counter and knead until uniform (this only takes a little kneading).
- Press or roll out to a 30 x 30 cm square. Brush with half of the melted butter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the extra sweetener and cinnamon. Sprinkle about 2/3 of this mixture over the rolled out dough.
- Fold dough in half and cut into 10 strips with a sharp knife or a pizza cutter. Hold both ends of one strip and twist gently in opposite directions two or three times. Lay twists on prepared baking tray and brush with remaining melted butter. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon “sugar”.
- Bake about 15 minutes, until golden brown and just firm to the touch. Remove and let cool.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sweetener, vanilla extract and just enough water to achieve a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cooled twists.